Sunday, August 3, 2008

What to do

I should have waited until after the first week to post about school. I thought things had gone pretty well but it ended up being a not so good start. Lorenzo had an OK first day but the week went down hill fast after that. The teacher is not so nice or understanding and I seem to be on her bad side already. The school is refusing any services right now as they want to wait on the test results (test they refused to do so we had to go to another district for). I went in Friday to request another IEP meeting while we wait for the testing to be complete and they told me there is no need, that he is doing well. Apparently crying everyday, having to be removed from class and having major anxiety attacks at home and school is what they call well.

After being down in the school office or on the phone with someone from there everyday this week I started to get pretty discouraged by Friday. I had been calling around to some of the private schools on the Island and found one that is specifically for higher functioning kids on the autistic spectrum and we met with the director Friday morning. He was great and offered us a lot of advice. We loved the school and wish we could get Lorenzo in right now. The only problem is they do not have any openings this school year and even if they did tuition is over 25,000 a year. He told us that we needed to look into taking action against the school district and that if we won by law they would have to pay for our legal fees and his tuition. Now here is the problem, if we decide to fight the school on this and loose we are out all the money it costs to take legal action, it can be expensive and that could be money put towards helping Lorenzo. Next if we win we cannot get him in until next year and we are supposed to be leaving here next year. We have though about trying to extend here but as this is over seas we are not even supposed to be here with Lorenzo’s EFM status. I have thought about pulling him out and homeschooling him but he really needs the interaction with the other kids and he needs occupational therapy, something I cannot provide at home. Plus I think our Doctors would be very upset if we pulled him out and I need their help if we are going to fight to get the school to do more.

I wish I had a crystal ball and could know what the outcome would be and where we will be next year, but as for now we are a little lost. We have been totally relying on our Father in Heaven to somehow help us through this.

5 comments:

JAG said...

I'm so,so sorry, Briana. I know that there is absolutley nothing that I can do, but my prayers are with you guys. Just so you know, if you ever want to talk and unload, I'm a pretty good listener. Just remember we love you guys.

Janus

Sheila said...

We pray for you guys every day. I hope the crystal ball becomes clear soon. We love you guys, too!

Blake and Catherine Potter said...

hang in there Briana...i think something has to be said about afflictions, and how strong and special Lorenzo must be if Heavenly Father is having him go through this :) Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Bennett family said...

What a challenge! You are amazing! I've always looked up to you. I sure hope things work out for you! Good luck with the school system. That can't be fun dealing with them!

Briana Ward said...

Thanks everyone, We feel so thankful to have such wonderful friends and family. We will keep you updated.

You are all the Best!!!!!