Thursday, March 6, 2008

We're back!!



We were able to spend 4 days on the Big Island and I can honestly say that it was one of the best vacations I have ever had. We stayed at the Kilauea Military Camp that is right in the Volcano National Forest and is so spectacular!!!! We had a 2 bedroom cabin with fire place and kitchen and the kids had almost as much fun in their "new home" as they did touring the volcano.

We saw some breath taking waterfalls and beautiful tropical forests, we spent an afternoon on one of the black sand beaches were we saw sea turtles and 2 humpback whales really close to shore jumping and playing in the water (AMAZING!!!!) We spent a day in Kona and Waikaloa at the Hilton for my cousins wedding and the kids swam with more turtles and had a lot of fun riding the boats and taking the "train". All in all it was an awsome trip, but I have to say that my favorite part was the volcano. We were able to hike right down into Kilauea crater and walk the lava that erupted for 36 days about 50-60 years ago and took 36 years to cool down. if you look at the pictures, yes I am wearing slippers and a sun dress. Jeremy decided to do it last min. and I was not prepared but I made it down with only one near mishap! The trails were amazing and there was so much to do we could have spent a week just at the volcano. It was well worth it and I am so thankful that we were able to do it! The kids had a blast and Jeremy and I had an equally good time if not better!!!!!

I had trouble uploading these pictures just click the box with the ? to access the photo album, sorry!

3 comments:

Holly said...

I can't believe how big the boys are getting!! I'm glad you had a fun vacation, the pics are beautiful.

When you said a volcano - all I could think was that Riley must have been in heaven :)

Briana Ward said...

Riley did enjoy it but he has out grown his fascination with volcanoes, it was a little sad for me as I loved it when he was going through that phase!

Bennett family said...

Great pictures! Looks like you had a really fun time. It looks so beautiful there!